Sunday 1 June 2014

How to... Cope with Physics Exams

NOTE: Due to technical difficulties this blog was originally posted on 24/05/14 but seems to have disappeared since then - so here it is again! 

Hello everyone! I’m so sorry it has been so long, but I have been living holed up in my room and the library for the last month! However I have now broken out of the stress of exams, the monotony of revision and can once again turn my attentions to more fun endeavours. From now I will be blogging regularly (aiming for once a week, to be published on Saturdays). 

So, exams. Exams are hard, and everyone knows it. Having now been taking official exams every summer for the last 8 years (goodness me that’s a lot of exams!) I can now say that I think I’ve got my revision strategies worked out. Now of course everyone has different methods for revision, but this blog post just aims to give some ideas about what works for me, and what may work for others if they want some ideas.

First off: Revising for different subjects really does necessitate revising in different ways. I mean, different subjects obviously have different content, but that content is also applied very differently in exams. I studied Physics, Maths, English Literature and Music at A level and even then it was obvious that each subject needed to be approached in a different way. But it was approaching my first year university exams that it became clearer I needed to hone my revision techniques to be most efficient for revising Physics. At school many hours were spent doing (slightly weird) workshops that were meant to tell you what kind of learner you were, and therefore how you should revise. Everyone was encouraged to produce many different resources in order to revise, but many subjects didn’t actually give any hints about how to revise specifically for their subject.

Physics, at least at university level, is hard. The exams are tough. There is a lot of content to know (formula sheets are a vague memory from the past), but it isn’t enough to just know what you’ve been told in lectures. You have to be able to use this knowledge to do things that you may never have seen before, so you really have to understand it all too (and where it all comes from and how it all links together). You then also need to have the maths skills to do some pretty complicated mathematical tasks, where a small error will completely ruin your final answer. So what would I recommend?

·      Make your notes for the content in a way that works for you - People learn the content in different ways. I used to make colourful posters, as my memory works in such a way that I can usually visualise particular pages of revision and particular sections of that page and the colour can help me recall the image. However as the amount of content has increased, I have just found that often I don’t have enough time to cover all of the content in this way. Instead, I go through and make notes for the entire course, but making sure I understand every single part before I write it down as I will only have time to do this step once. I try and structure my notes such that content is presented in a logical order, and cross reference different parts so I understand how it all fits together and refer back to this resource whilst practicing.



·      Go back over everything regularly using the syllabus as a guide – when going back over your notes, use the syllabus (which should define what you need to know) to check your knowledge. You can write yourself a list of questions that you should be able to answer, and then go through it. (My boyfriend Adam came up with this one and it really works! :)) If you can’t write down the correct answer, go back through your notes and try again (sometimes writing it out a few times again helps). And do this regularly, starting a long time before the exams actually happen.

·      PRACTICE – the most important part of Physics revision is practice. Not only does it let you practice your maths skills properly, it can give you clues as to what sort of questions might come up and how these questions might be phrased. If you get sample solutions it can also give you good tips of how to answer questions and what to write down to gain the maximum number of marks.

·      In the exam – don’t panic. Many exams at university follow a different format to exams at school such that you can choose a certain number of questions to answer and leave the rest. Some people like to read the whole exam paper at the start, some people find that may panic them and prefer to answer some questions first, particularly if they are compulsory. But anyway – keeping calm is the most important thing. Even if you think you can’t do a question, write down what things you know about the topic. These might help you start to come up with a solution, as they can help you focus more on the topic but even if not may gain you some marks.


·      Make sure you write down your working. You’ll get told this constantly whilst at school and you know what – they’re right. It means if you make a mistake during a calculation they can see where you went wrong and then give you marks for the bits you did right. This is way more important as calculations get longer and harder.

And remember – at university the bar changes. 70% or more is excellent, gone are the days when less than 90% meant you missed out on the top grade. They are meant to be hard so don’t necessarily panic if you can’t do everything, just make sure you are especially careful when answering questions on things you can do.

All of the above may seem like common sense, but I’ve come across many people who really do find it hard to revise and are looking for a bit of help. So if that is you, best of luck! Hopefully something I’ve said might help but remember it’s all about what works for you!

To anyone else – do you have any revision tips that you think might help someone? What works for you?

5 comments:

  1. I notice that you didn't do Further Maths at A level. Did this have a significant impact when you started at Durham?

    Your blog is very interesting and helpful by the way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - sorry I have replied to this I just realised I've accidentally left it as a comment rather than a reply. Thanks for your interest in my blog by the way - what stage of education are you at now? :)

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I chose not to study Further Maths at AS or A level because at the time I didn't know what I wanted to study at university and really enjoyed the subjects I studied and didn't want to give any of them up! Overall, not studying further maths has not caused any particular problems. Unless specified, universities wont expect you to know anything beyond the normal maths syllabus, so you'll learn everything when you get to university anyway. The only thing is it means first year is quite a bit more work for those that didn't take it as they catch up, whereas those who did take it will spend quite a lot of time learning about stuff they already know.

    My advice: If you know you definitely want to do Physics at university and enjoy maths, take further maths. But if you don't, you wont end up disadvantaged - you might just have a bit more work to do than other people when you get to uni! I actually bought second hand further maths books over the summer before uni and did some work out of them which really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My strategy was always to go through all my course notes and summarize them to the essentials in terms of definitions, equations, concepts, etc. Then, I would also go through all of my previous homework and make sure I knew how to solve every problem. Unfortunately, I never really took time to do extra practice problems (unless I had access to past exams). In some courses, that played against me (such as thermodynamics and statistical thermodynamics; I definitely could have used extra practice for those)!

    By the way, hi! I'm a(n eternal) PhD student in medical physics in Canada. I've also done several years of science outreach. I really enjoy reading your blog, please keep it up!

    And if you have any questions or discussions you want to have about medical physics, please let me know! It's such a great field!

    (Don't look at my blog. It's totally outdated and embarrassing. I was so young!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marc! Thanks for reading my blog! And yes hi - thanks that sounds great! And I promise I wont go look at your blog :P Well maybe I will - I'm quite intrigued now!

      Yeah that's great advice about revising - and I agree about using homework problems. At least where I go to university they cover almost the whole course so are a great way to check your knowledge. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your interest in my blog! I'll get back to you as soon as possible!